My resume, aspiration statement and PC passport paper work are now complete! While I know I "should" be saving money and looking at those other folders of my PC invite package, I have instead become obsessed with the fantasy of perfect packing for this adventure. I just wanted to share a few resources I have found pretty amazing beyond the packing list on PC Wiki. www.onebag.com is wonderful! This packing guru as he is called has created an entire website about packing everything for a journey into one bag, ideally a carry on. While this logic may seem silly to someone packing for a 2 year Peace Corps stint, it is actually very helpful for planning to be sufficient in all conditions. I have already printed off his annotated packing list and begun finding many of the items suggested cheaply online. A few examples of items I would never have thought of packing on my own include; an adjustable metal doorstop for security purposes (love this idea), a large sink stopper for doing laundry in sink (if I am lucky enough to have a sink), a specific brand of clothesline that works best for traveling, and a sarong or scarf that can be used for 12 or more uses. After going over his list, I really can not imagine wanting to bring much more with me. The real test will be if I have that sort of discipline when it comes time to really pack. I have packed up pretty much all of my belongings into two suitcases before, and I hope I can do it again!
As far as PC discounts go, the list on PCwiki is pretty great! I have already received the north face pro deal discount and hope to use it to purchase a multi-day pack. I don't have much actually backpacking experience, so I am doing my research. I technically backpacked out of a day pack in Bali, Indonesia, only because I ditched my roller bag and hopped on a moped for about a week. I was lucky to find a guy trustworthy enough to let us store our bags securely at his hotel, although this seems to be a common practice in Bali.
I am also waiting to hear back from a few other online vendors. The one that really has impressed me is Hennessy Hammocks. The description on PCWIKI says you must buy 10 in bulk to get a discount on their amazing tent/hammock invention. I have been emailing the company and they have said this is no longer the case. They offer 50% discounts for all PC invitees/volunteers and are happy to help you choose your hammock. I am hesitant because this whole packing situation is getting expensive, however I am really excited about this option.
Firstly, the hammock is very unique in that it is basically an above ground tent that keeps out the elements. Rain and mosquitoes, among other creepy crawlies are prevalent in Panama, so I definitely will appreciate this aspect should I purchase one. Since I also plan to do some trekking and backpacking in general, I really think this will cut down on the weight of my pack, and increase the comfort of my sleep.
The woman at H.H. said that for me, 5'4 woman weighing 138lbs, I could get the least expensive hammock, called the Scout, and it would be perfect for me. With the discount, this would only be about $50 plus shipping. I am only hesitant because I just bought a therma-rest type sleeping pad for a bit more than that. I definitely think I will get use out of both though. I imagine my host family would be both offended and creeped out by me if I chose to lounge in hammock over sleeping in their home no matter how comfortable it may be. I am pretty sure though, if and when I get my own home, a hammock would be a great asset. In my experience, I actually feel more secure and fall asleep better in a hammock.
Here is a link to the review page of their website http://hennessyhammock.com/reviews.html
Anyone else find any cool items, please let me know!
All the best.
Thanks for the info Natalie! I am with you on how expensive packing can get. I just started looking into the discounts last week. My first try was a failure. North Face told me my app did not have enough information. Can you provide more info about filling out the pro-deal app. How did you "prove" you are a volunteer? Thanks!
ReplyDeletehmmm for north face I just described that I would be working outdoors and described my work sector a bit. I don't think I went into tooo much detail and I only gave the Peace Corps information I have. I actually don't even have the official contact info for my future country (panama) beyond panama@peacecorps.gov. I guess i do have the extention number, but no true one contact person yet. I am surprised they turned you down Sherlie! I would try again and just put in as much as you can. They approved me so quickly I assumed it was just a general PC thing. Good luck! Let me know if it works
ReplyDeleteJust so you know, Panama has hammocks, and often they are cheaper. I lived there for 6 months in 2008, and came home with 3 (2 as gifts though). I think I spent 5-10$ on each one.
ReplyDelete