Restless Applicant Syndrome has been getting the best of me as of late. I can't help but obsess over the updates of strangers who are in my same little boat all across the country, waiting desperately for news from the Peace Corps Placement Officer powers that be. I figure I should give back to my waiting mates and keep updating as information trickles my way.
I finally got the letter saying my medical is in fact complete and the decision is a big thumbs up! I am so happy I could hug and kiss all my doctors and nurses and random ladies with needles who seemed very callous at the time they shed my blood. Maybe it was just tough love. Either way, their attitude got me through blood testing without fainting. Wish I could say the same for my gyno exam. I fainted at the point of taking blood pressure. It's weird, I know.
I also was lucky enough to hear from my PO assistant who asked for an updated resume and skills addendum for me to complete and send back within one week. I did it in four hours. He said thanks and let me know I could hear from the PO in 2-6 weeks. Basically, he did not want to give any clues as to whether or not my nominated departure date and country would be affected by any current changes. Grrr. I was a bit frustrated, but I am getting better at waiting. So here I wait.
I was recently in contact with my recruiter about some of the safety issues brought to all of our attention by the tragic 20/20 investigation on tv last night. While I am very sad and really worried about this program, I am taking it with a grain of salt. It just makes me worry about the potential in-country support, seeing as it has failed a few volunteers. I can only pray for the safety of everyone currently in service and all of us (hopefully myself included) who will be heading out this year for the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps.
As for my conversation with my recruiter, It soon changed to the topic of my pending application status. She seems to think that March departure is certainly not out of the question. Seeing as it is only 2 months away.. no problem. This causes a bit of anxiety within me. Would they really wait that long to tell applicants. I find that a bit crazy, but then again I have been preparing mentally for months. I think I have just been holding onto a glimmer of hope that I will end up in South or Central America as I have dreamed. Either way, I am happy with what I get. Should be a nice surprise wherever I end up. I stress NICE with wishful thinking. PLEASE OH PLEASE.
So expect some updates in the next 2-6 weeks. I know I will be waiting patiently by the phone, computer and mailbox. I guess there is no set way for this all to come to pass. I could get another interview, a status update, or any and all of the above all leading to a hefty package in UPS. I know another North Africa nominee just got invited this past week (Congrats!) to Tanzania in June. I figured that would be proof that I could expect being pushed back to a later departure date. My recruiter is not so sure.
I have been practicing adding pictures and such so I will go ahead and try this out :
They have until 8 weeks until your program departure date to invite you. It used to be 6 so since they're in transition nobody's really sure which they're going with right now. But even then they can be a little fuzzy with those deadlines. And I got my June invitation last month and a lot of people are still getting April invites, so it's not necessarily proof that you'll get pushed back. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ashley! Great feedback!
ReplyDeleteI am actually hoping a bit to be pushed back in all honesty. Knowing only 8 weeks in advance is sorta crazy, although I am lucky enough to know my nominated country rather than regeion due to North Africa only including one country. At this point though, it looks like I just missed the 8-week deadline. We'll see if they use the 6 week rule on me. Thank you!