Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The working week... well not for me anyways

Hello all! Glad to see some people have been taking advantage of this blog to read up on my (mis)adventures so far. Since I last wrote, not a whole lot has happened, but I have been settling into my life here. I think the greatest challenge for me now is how to relax and really just be happy being alive. Sounds deep and all, but really it's more like enjoying sitting around and going with the flow. I basically fought my way into these people's lives so I can't exactly start calling the shots. I also am pretty lucky to know what this feels like. I know later in the hectic bustle of law school or grad school I will long for these hot summer days at grandma's house with my sleeping aussie. (For those of you who didn't know T. sleeps nights so I am always online in the morning which is probably evening in the States)

Ok so although it was lazy I will fill you in

Monday: After finally working on my blog and talking to family and friends, it was time to experience the mundane and the everyday in Melbourne. Autoparts store woohoo! T. and his friend Marc and I headed to the store to get him some parts for his car. We ended up back at Marcs place, had a beer, watched Ironman. Goodtimes to be had by all. Luckily I was allowed out on the road for a bit of driving practice. I am finally becomming accustomed to the opposite side of the road issue, but still confused by the opposite side of the car part. I sometimes put on the windshield wipers instead of the indicators. It hasn't rained much here so I ende up looking pretty idiotic.

Tuesday: Almost the same scenario as Monday except today we visited T.'s workshop and brought car parts to the drifting shop, ran some errands and saw Marc and the family. T. promised me a beach trip after I had googlemapped how to walk there. Only 10k! I could do it! Coming into the city and looking out at the water was really what I needed. I think many of you know about my walking route along the water in St. Pete near downtown. It's something that I hold pretty dear and can not do without when I am home. I feared that I would never find a walking path that good abroad. Well, I got lucky. It's no calm Vinoy Park, but it is a happy medium between that and South Beach. There are beautiful and fabulous restaurants and bars overlooking the beachscape. Trails for walkers, bikers, and yes, bladers! I was suddenly happier than I had been all day! We walked a good while and took in the sights. There is an old amusement park there too that I really want to check out and photograph. I got a few good ones of the sunset and called it a night. I plan on coming back there to walk or bike pretty soon, as well as check out the nightlife. Everything is still a bit overwhelming, but its becoming more and more normal. Towards the end of the night I began to feel a bit cranky. It may have been the sun, because supposedly my cheeks were displaying the effects of the UV rays. I claimed to be immune, but I guess not. I was thinking that I hated feeling useless. So far in our apartment, I try to do my best with simple things, but overall, T. figured out how to do everything for me. I expressed this concern, but aparently it's hard for someone to understand. I just want to know that I bring something to the table. As if my pressence is making life easier instead of the opposite. I guess hospitality goes beyond that fairness and people are just happy to share what they have with you fully.

As for today, I don't think there are any set plans in the works. I anticipate relaxing and maybe some exploring. I am also excited because we are going to see Rob Thomas this weekend at some music festival along with some local bands. The following weekend we are heading to Sydnee to see Steve and Nicole from Camp! I also just subscribed to an online newletter about stuff happening in Melbourne. I am happy to learn about this huge sustainable living festival/workshop thats free for the public coming up in two weeks. Definitely up my alley and I will probably drag some friends along. So life is slow and simple, yet rich and beautiful.

A few other thoughts.... I think (after seeing the beach life) this city is very easy to fall in love with. While I was walking by the water I had one of those moments where you just look up at the sky and are wholly thankful for the moment you've been blessed with. I realize that thinking about a moment is not living the moment, but it's as good as someone shaking your shoulders forcing you to be a bit more present.

Also, I worry too much for Melbourne. So if I sound anxious or worried it's probably me using this as an outlet. DO NOT WORRY.

I love you guys and thanks for all the facebook and skype chats.

2 comments: