Monday, February 8, 2010

A Beautiful Mess

I apologize for the absence. It's been a crazy last few days. Mainly because both my housemate and I have been pretty sick. For some odd reason I always think I am immune to illnesses, even when someone in my close proximity is literally dying from coughing or fever. The excuse that I eat all my vegetables doesn't cut it. I got sick.

Despite the experience of being sick abroad, which is not too bad in my cushy apartment, things have been up and down. I was obviously a bit upset last week when I wrote and wanted to be in a better mood before I rambled on about something depressing. No need to worry anyone. I think my melancholy stems from the lack of mental challenge or a structure in my life. Hmm interesting how someone on holiday will snap without a scheduled list of meetings, assignments, classes, and lab hours to complete. Obviously that's what sets me apart as an American. Workaholic in nature I suppose.

To remedy these overwhelming feelings of a lack of purpose, I have begun my job hunt. Today I am going to talk to a friend of a friend at some pizza restaurant to see about a job. If that falls through (which I may or may not be happy about), I plan on taking my sales pitch to the road next week when I get home from Sydney.

Before I get into next weekend's travels, I should probably comment on this past weekend. It was a good one indeed. I feel pretty blessed to have friends here that make the effort to take me to some really cool places. Our destination; a place called Spray Farm. I know it sounds like a dump for pesticide use, but it turned out to be a beautiful vineyard directly on the coast near the start of the famous Great Ocean Road. We were attending a show called Day on the Green to see Aussie singer Vanessa Amarossi (sp?) and Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20. I will have some pictures up soon on facebook, but honestly it was the most beautiful show venue I have ever attended. We sat high up on the hill, had a lovely picnic, and enjoyed the music. We may have enjoyed the crowd's antics more, though. I had my first glimpse of what is known as the Aussie drinking tradition. Everyone was hammered. Men falling off coolers, Women tossing their wine and cheese all over a stranger's picnic blanket. No worries mate. My favorite part was watching the stragglers at the end of the night who somehow had missed their friends, their car, and the boat completely. I guess the cops have to round them up at the end of the night. Either way, I never saw so many responsible adults that publicly intoxicated! Maybe drinking bottles of wine all day in the sun was a bad choice. Maybe it's just in their nature to get away for a Saturday, booze it hard, and return to their lives in the City on Monday. Hardcore is the only word that comes to mind.

So beyond being stunned both by the beauty of the ocean, and some people's lack of dignity, I was feeling pretty good. Unfortunately, this feeling didn't last too long, when a random comment sent me over the edge. It was between my two best friends here, something along the lines of how they are the only constant friends in their lives. I took it as I am only temporary. I don't know why this realization hurt so much. Maybe it is because in my idealistic fantasy world I can do everything and be friends with everyone and no one is ever left out. I am now attempting to see my lack of permanence as a good thing, an asset I have, something to remind my not to care about what people think or how what I do now will affect my future here. Because there is no future here. Not likely anyways. Another reason why I can't be getting all vulnerable or falling for Aussie boys. Just not worth the heartache.

I do my fair share of thinking here and I apologize if it completely resembles the ramblings of a crazy person. When I have the time, I think, and thinking rarely brings me to wisdom without hitting the low points along the way.

On a lighter note, this weekend we are heading to Sydney and I think the change of scenery will do me good. We will be seeing our friends Nicole, Steve and Jenna which will be a delight. I am extremely excited about having girl time with my pinewood girls and hopefully experiencing the nightlife. It is Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year so it is sure to be a pretty festive weekend.

Thank you again for the love and support. Keep the messages and skype calls coming.

xo,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment